Friday, March 2, 2012

5K training: Week 1

Well, I’ve officially completed Week 1 of my training, and I have 8 more to go. Perhaps deciding to go to the gym 4 days a week after not going at all for months and months was not the best decision I’ve ever made, but I’m still glad I did it.

I think the hardest and most frustrating thing about facing the gym and the treadmill again is knowing how much I was once capable of and how little I’m capable of now. But the good news is that in just one week I’m already seeing results. I’ve unofficially lost 2 lbs. (I say unofficially because I’ve only weighed myself twice) and my legs look a lot smoother (that’s right, I had/have cellulite, and yes, it’s gross).
But anyways, for the sake of being accountable and to help me burn some rubber, here is my recap:

Sunday: I ran/walked 2.55 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill. After a two-day break from the gym, I felt really positive about it.

Monday: I ran/walked 1.67 miles in about 20 minutes on the treadmill. Workout cut short because my stomach hurt. Not feeling so positive anymore.

Wednesday: Feeling uber exhausted, so I went with a 30-min. workout on the elliptical. I probably could have pushed myself harder, buuuut sometimes you need a break.

Thursday: Still feeling pretty exhausted, but knew I had to hit the treadmill again. In about 25 minutes (including a 5-min. warm-up), I ran/walked 1.88 miles. I think this was also due to the fact that I could sync my breathing with my pace and ended up feeling like I couldn’t breathe. Going to rework my workout playlist to help pace and breathe better.

I’ll return to the gym on Sunday to start Week 2. But in the meantime, for any treadmill runners, have any tips on breathing while running?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...